OurTwinGirls

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Ansley's Ambulance Ride

Saturday was a day that we will never forget! After lunch on Saturday, we put the girls in their bouncy seats to watch a little Baby Einstein to "wind down" before their nap. We left them alone to watch the movie because, if we stayed in there, they would either want out of their seats or try to socialize. After about 10 minutes Daddy went to move the girls to their beds for their naps. He immediately noticed that something was wrong with Ansley. She had thrown up on herself and her eyes were rolled toward the back of her head. As he went to pick her up, she was not responding and was barely breathing. He came downstairs and said "something is wrong with Ansley." After grabbing her from him, she was completely limp and not making eye contact at all. We shined a flash light in her eyes and she didn't respond to that either. Her skin was getting very pale and her lips were a dark purple. We quickly started CPR and called 911 for an ambulance. After what seemed like forever, Ansley started to faintly cry and taking shallow breaths, but she kept trying to fall asleep. The paramedics finally arrived, which also seemed like forever! We loaded up into the ambulance and Ansley was hooked up to the oxygen/heart monitor and they began administering a breathing treatment. Both Abigail and Ansley normally HATE breathing treatments, but Ansley just laid there and didn't seem to mind at all. Her oxygen finally came up about half way to the hospital. When we were about five minutes away, she started trying to rip the mask off, which made us feel a little better. After spending a few hours at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, the doctor diagnosed her as having a febrile seizure. Febrile seizures are apparently very common in children up to age five. They can be caused by a quick spike in fever, dehydration, and a few other things. Typically, when a child has a fever of this type, the parent should just let the seizure run its course. However, in our situation, Ansley had actually aspirated on her vomit, which made her choke and, therefore, unable to breathe. Supposedly, this is VERY rare for this type of seizure. Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do to prevent these seizures. We will go see our pediatrician tomorrow to make sure she feels like everything is ok. From Mommy and Daddy's point of view, Ansley seems to be herself again...full of energy and into everything! :) We knew that she had started feeling better when we were about to leave the hospital because she was determined to rip all of the monitors off her tummy and kept trying to crawl out of the crib. :)

We want to thank all of you for the calls, visits, and prayers yesterday! Also, a BIG thank you to all of our wonderful neighbors for taking care of Abigail...we basically called and said "can you keep Abigail? We have called an ambulance for Ansley." We dropped her off on their front porch with no instructions and no "supplies"! Thank goodness we have awesome neighbors! They went to our house and packed her a bag...and even cleaned up the vomit!!!! THANK YOU!

Below are a couple of pictures from just about an hour before the dramatic event. No...I didn't manage to get a picture of Ansley in the ambulance, but it will forever be etched in our minds!!!

24 Comments:

  • At Sunday, July 08, 2007 10:29:00 PM, Blogger Lindsay said…

    Oh my...I am so glad that Ansley is ok!! Sounds like you all did everything right. You always hear that you're more likely to do CPR on your own family, but I've never known anyone that actually has had to do it. Please let us know how the doctor visit goes.

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 1:12:00 AM, Blogger Laurie said…

    Oh my goodness! I am so glad Ansley is ok and y'all were so quick on your feet. Those little girls are just going to continue to be little miracles! love and prayers being sent your way!

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 8:11:00 AM, Blogger Jillina said…

    Oh my word!! I am so glad everything is ok! Hope the doc visit goes good, you are all in my prayers!

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 8:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, how scary! So glad everything is okay with Ansley. Hope your doctor's visit goes well. Your girls are so cute! Thanks for sending the web site to me!

    ~Rebecca

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 9:32:00 AM, Blogger Becky said…

    Oh Rebecca!!!!!!!! That is so scary!!!!! I would be a mess for the next month probably!! So so so glad she is doing good now... poor baby! Hopefully that's the last of that!!!

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 10:45:00 AM, Blogger The Hadfields said…

    How scary!! I'm so glad she's okay now!

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 2:30:00 PM, Blogger chris anne said…

    oh my goodness, rebecca. i am tearing up just thinking about this. i can't even begin to imagine how you felt. thank god for quick thinking on yours and eric's part and for wonderful doctors and paramedics. i am so glad everything is ok.

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 2:49:00 PM, Blogger Natalie Church said…

    I couldn't read your blog fast enough. I am so glad that she is o.k. The girls are miracle babies! You and Eric are great parents!

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 7:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At 7+ months pregnant, my eyes are now filled with tears at reading your blog! I am so glad that she is okay and recovering well, but I cannot even begin to imagine how you must have felt. Being a parent is scary!!

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 8:29:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca Fua said…

    oh my goodness...i had no idea. glad you are all okay. how scary for all of you. way to go to start cpr and call 911 immediately...i would think that would be hard not to panic. i have seen some febrile seizures when temps shoot up all the sudden, and it is scary. i can't imagine it being my own! keep us posted.

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 9:30:00 PM, Blogger Courtney said…

    Oh my goodness, I have chills! That had to be so scary! I have heard of febrile seizures, thank goodness it wasn't anything worse! Of course, I am sure that was bad enough!! I am so glad she is doing okay now. I really need to learn CPR...

     
  • At Monday, July 09, 2007 10:10:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I am just sick for you! I can't imagine loading one of my children up in an ambulance. Good for you that you know CPR and did all the right things for your sweet Ansley. I feel like I have at least 5 mini-heart attacks a day because of Molly. So glad Ansley is doing so well.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:19:00 PM, Blogger Kimberlie Reese Denham said…

    Praise the Lord, she's okay! A parent's worst nightmare- glad the Lord was watching over your family!

     
  • At Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My heart was racing while I read this entry!! I'm so glad she is okay!!

     
  • At Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey guys, Parents always just know the right things to do and you did it! I just wanted you to know that when Andrew was a baby, he had the same type seizure; except no vomiting. I am sure that added little twist made things even more "tense". At any rate, those seizures are pretty common. I hope Ansley, my little "mischievious one", is back to herself. Take care.

     
  • At Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:49:00 PM, Blogger Pamela said…

    That is so scary! Sounds like you guys knew exactly what to do. I am so glad everything turned out okay. We have really enjoyed seeing ya'll around lately.

     
  • At Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:25:00 PM, Blogger Stacy said…

    Praise God Ansley's ok! :)

     
  • At Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:24:00 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    Your story gives me the chills. Thanks to God that Ansley is OK and that it was a rare occurence, something that will hopefully never happen again!

     
  • At Friday, July 13, 2007 7:41:00 AM, Blogger Ryan and Michelle said…

    Rebecca!!! I am so sorry this happened but so THANKFUL that everything turned out okay. I am can only imagine the fear. Hope everyone is doing well and has recovered from this "adventure"!

     
  • At Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Ashley & Bobby said…

    I am so glad Ansley is okay! That had to be so scary....God was definitely watching over you guys.

     
  • At Monday, July 16, 2007 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Whitney said…

    Wow, I guess I haven't read your blog in a while! SO glad Ansley is ok! That is so scary, but I'm so glad the Lord was looking out for her and that you guys reacted so quickly.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:43:00 PM, Blogger Bethany said…

    Wow, how scary! Way to be trained in CPR! I'm glad everyone is okay, and that there are no long lasting effects. What did the doctor say?

     
  • At Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't believe how big the girls are!!! and so beautiful...I can believe that though =) We miss you guys so much. I can't believe it has been so long since we've seen you. We need to get together soon. Your girls are precious beyond words!

     
  • At Saturday, September 08, 2007 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Ashley @ pure and lovely said…

    Hey! This is Ashley Mills. I know you have no clue who I am, but I know Jillina, and she referred me to this page. THIS VERY THING just happened to our two year old little boy Thursday. So this makes me feel better to read this. Aiden was in my lap when it happened, and it is the scariest thing we have ever been through. We spent the night in the hospital after an ambulance ride, and everything, and Aiden is now doing just wonderfully, but what a scare. Apparently it happened from a fever which was caused by a virus, but it came out of nowhere and spiked beyond our control so quickly. Just wanted to thank you for posting this. I think its important for parents to know about this possible and very common condition. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home